Thursday, May 10, 2012

Project Icarus Journal #3: Reflective Journal: Response to your learning


During the course of my lifetime, I have developed many passions.  Every since I was young I always had a “sweet tooth” and love for dessert.  Whenever we have parties the first place on the dinner table I would go to is the desert table.  Then when it is time to eat dessert I am the first one there and would have to take a bite or small piece of every single dessert dish.  As I eat the dessert, I savor the taste of every bite.  My love for desserts grew when I first saw my mom making a cake.  I was just watching and she let me try, I had so much fun making it.  I even got to lick the spoon of the extra batter and then taste the cake.  Now, I make all the desserts for parties.  This project allowed me to stretch and learn about my cultural side of me.  I learned how to make different Filipino desserts to go back to my roots and culture that I am not too close to.  I got to spend time with my aunty and learned about my culture.  My step to learning about my culture is learning about how to make the desserts.
            Learning has been apart of my life since we had to go to school and in sports from about 3 years old.  I have always tried my best and done hard work in school.  My motivation to do well and learn is the feeling of success you get when you accomplish something.  When we first started this project I already knew that I loved to make desserts, when I was learning to make the different Filipino desserts, there were times where it was hard to make since the recipe was kind of complicated and confusing but I still prevailed because I wanted to finish it until the end and be able to say, “I know how to make that dessert” or “I made that for the party.”  This motivation has led me to many accomplishments in school and in sports.
            “Hard Work” is my best skill that I have mastered that will support me as a lifelong learner.  I always work hard in everything that I do both in academics and in sports.  During this project, I worked hard to meet all the deadlines and really reflect on my experiences in the journals.  I worked hard to fully immerse myself in the Filipino culture.  In order to learn how to make these desserts, I had to really stretch and push myself to understand and learn about the culture not just the fact that I am Filipino.  I had to accept their ways and work hard to become closer to that side of my family and my roots that signify who I am.
            School is important.  The core purpose of school is to educate you and allow you to become a better person.  Even though I don’t absolutely love coming to school.  I would like to think I still would come to school.  Like I hate missing school especially when I am sick and I fight my mom so that I am able to come to school (it is unusual since it is normally the other way around).  School makes me a better person not only by educating me but also by building my character and work ethics.  School allows me to make something out of myself in the future whether it be as a baker or as an engineer or accountant.  Without school, children would not become better people, which is why I am grateful we provided with a school.
            

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mikayla!

    That's a beautiful reflection--thoughtful and heartfelt. And your actions every day lend credence to your words (hah! vocabulary word :)

    Congratulations on your award today!!!
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete